SAG red carpet fashion isn’t big like the Oscars or the Globes, but it should be. The 2017 Screen Actors Guild Awards were stylish, political, and at times downright hilarious. Did you see Winona Ryder’s face when Stranger Things won the top television award? If not, go find some GIFs. I think the woman made at least 30 faces while the show’s producers accepted the award. Along with all its funny moments, the SAGs also had a magnificent red carpet. There were performers who redeemed themselves after an embarrassing outing at the Golden Globes earlier this month and stars who wowed us once again with new outfits. Here are the best, and a few of the worst, looks from last night’s SAG ceremony. Ogle, envy, and enjoy!
Taraji P. Henson
- There’s no doubt Henson was one of the best things about last night’s red carpet. Her sheer Reem Acra dress was bold, decorative, and beautiful. The see-through torso gave us a glimpse of side-boob too, which only added to the allure.
- Perhaps the rest of the performers on the red carpet are to blame for Hayek’s unsuccessful look. With so much black and white floating about, her brilliant yellow Gucci with pink trim felt like a casual salsa dress. Save that outfit for spring, Selma.
William H. Macy & Felicity Huffman
- Every year, you can count on Huffman and Macy to do something cute on the SAG red carpet. They also have impressive couple fashion. This year, Huffman’s neutral, sheer-paneled gown and Macy’s classic tuxedo looked pleasantly modern, as though they came straight from the Obama’s wardrobe.
- Nothing against the Big Bang Theory, but Cuoco needs to get her fashion in order. Her multi-colored dress looked a little chaotic and there was far too much tulle. Something a little tamer would have served her better.
- The subtle curve of Larson’s subtle white gown on last night’s carpet proved yet again that this actress is one of Hollywood’s finest fashion queens. Everything about this dress is gentle. It’s the perfect match for Larson’s personality and figure.
- Thick vertical stripes aren’t usually a good idea. The shiny material of this slinky dress works, but the design just doesn’t tie in. If Williams had picked one color and committed to it, this would have worked much better.
- This young star from the Game of Thrones franchise knows her fashion stuff. Taking the best of the 90s and making it work, Williams dark purple lips and sheer slip gown are incredibly transforming. It’s nice to see Arya Stark dressed in high fashion for a change.
- On a runway peopled with shiny, sheer dresses, a magenta paisley print is going to stand out. In this case, it failed. Sarafyan’s dress looked too casual and lumpy in tragically unflattering areas. Hopefully, she’ll have something with fewer clumps next time.
- After her Globes dress earned her the title of ‘Worst Dressed’ back in early January, the pressure was on. Turner didn’t disappoint with this gorgeous, scarlet-red gown. It has the subtlety of design of Larson’s dress and the bright color blended perfectly with Turner’s blonde hair and fair skin.
- Hudson must have known she was taking a risk showing up in this dress on a red carpet. The top awkwardly shows her undergarments and there is strange black on white text decorating her waistband. The only excusable thing about this dress is its small corsage at the waist.
- Bowen proved unique isn’t always bad. It just needs to be appropriately flattering. This beautiful sheer dress left little to the imagination, but the design never got out of hand. The best thing about the dress was that it was daring in all the right ways.
- Everyone is talking about these ornate parrots. This dress would have been perfect without them, but with them it feels too much like a theme party. Kidman could have been such a beautiful example of how to wear Greenery on the red carpet. Unfortunately, her birds got in the way.
- Davis knows how to craft a minimalist fashion look. This dress and necklace combo shows off her beautiful skin and never tries to do too much. So many people try to show off on red carpets, I respect Davis’s ability to keep it simple and still turn heads.
Jenifer Lewis & Amy Landecker
- People are saying zebra stripes are coming back, but these suits are too much. Did Lewis, Landecker, and Kidman all get some jungle-themed memo? Evan Rachel Wood showed women everywhere how to wear a suit on the red carpet at the Globes. At least these suits kept with a neutral palette.
- I feel like La La Land turned Stone into even more of a fashion icon than she already was, and that’s saying a lot. Has she ever worn something we really couldn’t stand? Last night, her black dress with blossom prints looked Parisian and high-class American simultaneously. Pure genius.
Manning was almost not a disaster. Honestly, it was the hair that earned the title of “worst dressed.” The maroon gown worked for her apart from the candy-floss-tinted locks. She just really needed something nice and neutral to help her hair not look out of place. It was a little too much style mixing for red carpet fashion.
The hottest red carpet looks from the 2017 SAG Awards were traditional red carpet dresses with a twist. Sometimes, the twist was good and other times it went too far or not far enough. Will the worst-dressed Hollywood stars redeem themselves with better red carpet dresses at the Oscars? I guess we’ll have to hope for the best and watch for ourselves.
— Scarlett Price